Monday, August 5, 2013

Hers: First Day of Metta

First days are always exciting….first day of school, first day of a new job, first day of a yoga training, first day of sitting down with my husband to review his first self-created yoga sequence (still waiting on that one, but I know it’s coming and I hear it’s fantastic)...

...first day of metta practice.

My normal meditation practice is a solid and consistent 10 minutes, which I recently increased to 15. I’ve been a bit concerned about adding another 5 minutes. Not because of the actual sitting, but the time it will take from all my other morning activities: the all so important reviewing of email, catching up on the night’s Facebook events, looking at my cat, wandering about the house, you know – important stuff. But being the exciting first day of metta practice, I was able to let all that other stuff go and begin this adventure.
The mind is so incredibly amazing at its ability to multi-task…
I eagerly take my seat and begin to recite my metta phrases, synchronizing them to my breath. Not more than 10 repetitions in I start to simultaneously contemplate what I might write about in my next blog entry, wonder if anyone has read it yet, or even better – commented. Then I move onto planning my next workshop, wondering what it will be like sharing my knowledge of class preparation with Gary only to return to exploring how my metta practice will manifest off the cushion. And on it goes….When I become conscious of my wandering mind, I turn to the practice of “muttering” – softly repeating my phrases aloud. It helps me to refocus. And then, I’ve come to the last bead, 108 repetitions done. Asana (yoga posture) practice to follow, reviewing what I’ll teach in my morning class.
And then off to work I go…
My classes go smoothly and as happens in most classes, I adjust what I teach to fit the students that arrive. This is always a practice in compassion, empathy, and patience. I offer modifications and adjustments to hopefully meet the needs of the injuries and limitations that abound in the room. As we come to our final posture, Savasana, I see that for some, the discomforts are still there, preventing the release that Savasana brings. I offer as much support as I can and then let them go to find their own way.
Once I sit, I find myself wondering what more I could do or could have done. It’s then that my metta phrases come to mind. I close my eyes and try to envision all of the bodies before me and silently repeat to myself, “May you be filled with loving- kindness. May you be well. May you be peaceful and at ease. May you be happy.” I repeat it maybe 5 – 6 times. I open my eyes and see all of these bodies lying on the ground, still, relaxed, at ease….

3 comments:

  1. I so relate to the last part - what could I have done differently? What might I do next time? In moments of teaching when I'm not sure if what I had imagined for that class is panning out, I'm sending metta to myself too. Instant calm, everything is all right, just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. So true. I'm regularly sending metta to myself.....

      Delete