Saturday, August 10, 2013

Hers: Metta for Us All (In Honor of Sergeant Mike Wilson)

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple years ago. It was an article about the grand scale installation artist, Christo and his life after the passing of his wife and collaborator, Jeanne-Claude. While reading, I came across a line so poignant and beautiful that I copied it into my journal so as not to forget it. It seemed then and still does now an important idea to contemplate.


....Today our community is in the midst of a small tragedy. Only days ago, Charlotte County Sergeant Mike Wilson was killed in the line of duty. The first officer to be killed by gunfire and only the second to have fallen in our county's history. Our small little city has been spending the last couple of days preparing for his memorial, our streets and trees decorated in blue ribbons to honor Sergeant Wilson's service and sacrifice. My own Thursday afternoon was spent wrapping the trees outside of the yoga studio. It's a strange thing - decorating a building, wrapping trees in ribbon, knowing that a family has been torn apart...because a family has been torn apart. I can only hope that our compassion somehow makes it to their hearts.

People die. Sometimes horribly, sometime peacefully. All that gets taken from them at death is probably of no consequence to them now. But what of those left behind? What becomes of them? Who do we become once they're gone?

You lose the person you got to be when you were with him or her.

I woke up the morning after decorating the studio trees and, as is becoming my habit, went into our yoga room for sitting practice. I took out my mala, took my seat, and after a few deep exhalations,  started reciting my metta phrases. As is also becoming my habit, I began my practice directing the phrases toward myself.
 

Soon, 10 - 15 repetitions in, Sergeant Wilson came to mind. I don't know that I've ever met him and the only image I have is what's being used in the papers and news feeds. His image made just a fleeting appearance. It was his family, his wife and children, that truly came to settle into my heart. I've no idea what they look like, no idea their age, hair color, no idea even if his kids are boys or girls. But I continued, "May they be filled with loving-kindness. May they be well..." What could they be going through? What are they doing right now? Who will they become?

You lose the person you got to be when you were with him or her.

The consummate multi-tasker, my mind repeated my phrases while simultaneously exploring those questions and then creating a story for a woman and family I've never even met. I began to answer my questions through this story. I answered them by putting myself into their place. What might I be doing?

Oh.... A deep sense of grief began to fill me, sadness.

I tried to focus harder on my metta phrases, pushing them out in their direction, whatever direction that may be. And then more broadly toward his extended family and friends, and then to all those whose lives he may have touched, and then to our entire community and all those who have experienced the loss of someone important in their lives. ALL of us. We all have, or no doubt will, experience that loss.

Who do we then become?

I'd love to end this post with some kind of answer, some kind of idea. But I don't know. I only suspect we're constantly finding out, constantly becoming who we will become.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very thought provoking post. I remember when I was a senior in high school and I remember the first time I lost someone close to me. He was a soldier stationed in Korea. We started out with me just sending him letters and little trinkets. It ended up with a totally different feeling. He was to come home in April of 1969 but in November of 1968 he lost his life. I remember my close friend in Rochester calling me and telling me to sit down I have some bad news for you. I still remember placing the medal in his coffin blessed by the priest from the church he attended. Now, when I see his sister it brings back memories. I was lucky to have known him. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that memory with us, Mom. I think through it, he's still part of you and all that knew him...

    ReplyDelete